Monday, January 24, 2011

Excuse Me!?!

God only asks us to share His good news.  Don't we love to share good news?  "We're engaged!"  "We're having a baby!"  "Ding Dong the witch is dead!"  "Joy to the world, the Lord has come!"

But when it comes to evangelism, which literally means "good news" (eu = good, angelos = news, message), we can post a lot of objections.

Sympathetically, the Evangelism Coach gives “Five Reasons Why I Hate Evangelism”:
  1. It violates the golden rule - most Christians would not want to be approached by a member of another religion the way Christians approach others in evangelistic attempts
  2. It calls the authenticity of relationships into question - are you my friend because you’re really my friend, or so you can convert me?
  3. The moment of truth - we think we must identify a “no turning back” point where you pressure someone to make a decision, and if they don’t respond well, that jeopardizes the relationship.
  4. Asking someone about the Gospel feels like making a pass at them.
  5. If I like my friends, and want them to continue to be my friends, I have a major incentive NOT to try to evangelize them.
http://www.evangelismcoach.org/2007/10/evangelism-fears (expired link, but it still pops up)

Moses would have been sympathetic.  Though he was highly educated at Cairo U., had the key to the palace in his safety deposit box and was called by God by a burning bush, Moses still gave excuses.
  • We Lack Confidence (Exodus 3:11 “Who am I?”)
  • We Don’t Know What To Say (Exodus 3:13 “What shall I say to them?”)
  • We Fear Failure & Rejection (Exodus 4:1 “But … they will not believe me or listen to my voice”)
  • We Use Our Limitations As Excuses (Exodus 4:10 “I am not eloquent … I am slow of speech and of tongue”)
  • We Would Rather Have Someone Else Do It (Exodus 4:13 “please send someone else”)
Yet our confidence is in the sovereignty of God.  He proved this to Moses through the 10 judgments, crossing the Red Sea, and providing water, manna and a sacrifice.

Our confidence today is in the sovereignty of God.  He elected some to be saved (Eph 1:4-5) - evangelism will bring about their salvation.  God will draw the lost to Him (Jn 6:44).  God brings the actual conversion (1 Cor 3:6-7).

He commands, He fulfills.  Isaiah 46:10  “I do all My good pleasure.  I fulfill all My purposes.”  All we have to do is share the good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers